When it comes to Audiobooks I think it’s safe to say I have a bit of an obsession. When checking my library earlier today I noticed I’m just 4 books away from 100!!! Not only that but in total I have listened to 1 month, 20 days, 5 hours and 42 minutes worth of audio!
So with almost 100 audiobooks under my belt I thought I would share some of my tips on listening to audiobooks and what I do when listening.
What to do with your hands.
I have found that if you just sit and listen your mind tends to wonder and before you know it you have missed 5 minutes of your book while daydreaming. It can also be a little distracting if you scroll through any of your social media accounts at the same time – reading comments and listening to a book never seems to work well. Some of the things that I love doing while listening are:
- Painting or colouring inn – for me both of these are very relaxing. I can easily get lost in a book and a new art project.
- The gym – if your anything like me the gym is a chore not a love and when your pushing yourself to climb those stairs you need a distraction otherwise you just watch that time slowly go down. It’s a great distraction when you need it most, and also a great incentive to go to the gym if your in the middle of a great book!
- Public transport or driving – my travel time to and from work is roughly 2 hours and sometimes first thing in the morning on the train the last thing I want to do is read, but that doesn’t mean I need to miss out on a great story.
- Reorganising my bookshelf – I’m always changing my bookshelf around. Sometimes it takes me hours trying to figure out how to get everything perfect. Listening to an audiobook and getting that perfect rainbow shelf is multitasking at it’s finest.
- Bookstagram – let’s be honest we take hours getting our photos just right. Sometimes we spend so much time styling we run out of time to read.
- Worst case scenario if your in the middle of an amazing audiobook but have nothing else to do I end up playing games on my phone. When I listened to the On Dublin Street series I couldn’t stop listening and at the same time I became an expert at Tetris!
Top 10 Audiobooks and series
Here is a list of not only some amazing stories but some absolutely awesome narrators. Each of these drew me in for the content of course but the narrators added something special and I’m so glad I listened to them.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, narrated by Davina Porter.
😯 😎 😈 So I know the narrator is a women but this book made me realise how sexy the Scottish accent is! She also did an amazing job with all the different voices, it was so seemless you felt like you were listening to more then one person.
- On Dublin Street series by Samantha Young, narrated by multiple narrators
😯 😎 😈 😉 Again can we all just take a minute to wish we had our own Sam Heughan, I mean scottish god to wisk us away! This series is full of some really inspiring female leads and some sexy love interests and all of the narrators did a fantastic job.
- The Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken, narrated by Amy McFadden
Amy McFaden would have to be one of my favourite narrators, she clearly has passion for her work and nails every accent and each individual personality. I am so glad I listened to this trilogy as opposed to reading it.
- The Consequences of Loving Colton by Rachel Van Dyken, narrated by Nick Podehl and Amy McFadden
😀 😉 Again Amy McFadden has done an amazing job with a completely a different mood. This book is funny and I mean Laugh Out Loud ridiculously funny. This is not a book to take seriously at all and if you cant handle all around sillyness then this probably isn’t for you.
- Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Mass, narrated by Elizabeth Evans
😎 So I had already read the first book in this series and I didn’t really enjoy it all that much, but so many people kept telling me to keep reading. I decided to compromise and listen to the audiobooks instead and OMG Elizabeth Evans is so Sassy, she totally embodies Celaena and before you ask yes I am now hooked.
- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, narrated by Neil Gaiman
I feel like Neil would have made an amazing actor this was such an entertainging listen.
- The Blood and Roses series by Callie Hart, narrated by Stephanie Cannon and Jared Zeus
😯 😎 😈 ❗ This was a reread for me. I loved this series and when I heard that it was on audible it was the perfect opportunity to read it again. I did not regret this decision Jared Zeus sounds like one sexy man!
- Room by Emma Donoghue, narrated by Michael Friedman, Ellen Archer, Suzanne Toren and Robert Petkoff
This is one of the most unique audiobooks I have ever read. It’s almost entirely told from a child and it really gave life to the story.
- Beautiful Player by Christina Lauren, narrated by Sebastian York and Grace Grant
😯 😎 😉 Not only is this one of my favourite novels of all time with one of my favourite female protaginists of all time but it is narrated by Sebastian York and this is another narrator who just sounds like sex on a stick.
- Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare, narrated by Ed Westwick and Heather Lind
😉 And last but not least Ed Westwick as Will Herondale can you imagine a better narrator? I think not.
I would love to hear about some of your favourite audiobooks or what you do when listening to them!